The river port township of Morpeth is steeped in history with European settlement dating from the early 1800s. Known also by its Aboriginal name 'Illalung', Morpeth formed one third of a land grant made to Lieutenant Edward Charles Close by Governor Brisbane in 1821.
Under the instruction of the Colonial Secretary, 1833 saw the development of the public wharf for Morpeth. Queens Wharf as it was named was to become a heavily frequented river port. Influenced by its desirable location on the Hunter River and awareness of the area's immense potential, Morpeth quickly evolved from a rugged bush base into a frontier town.
During its time as a major industrial and agricultural hub, Morpeth helped to lay the foundation for the development of the entire Hunter Valley. Whilst no longer famous for its primary industry, the Morpeth of today continues to thrive with many visitors exploring the township each year.